Extended family graph (Family Tree DNA)
Please contact me before ordering this product to discuss the combination and number of profiles you have in mind
A PDF network graph of Family Tree DNAmatches for more complex sets of profiles, or including profiles of extended family members. The PDF chart is designed for onscreen viewing. The PDF chart is designed for onscreen viewing. Two versions of the PDF are provided, one colour coded by group and the other by relationship.
Just some of the possible examples are a single person or any number of full-siblings plus:
- one maternal grandparent and two paternal aunts,
- a set of second cousin full-siblings,
- maternal and paternal half-siblings,
- father and maternal half-sibling.
Please contact me before ordering to discuss the combination and number of profiles you have in mind
Also provided with each purchase is an enhanced version of the 'match' file, including matching groups and number of matches in common for each match.
Requires client-provided data files.
The files required are 'Match', 'in-common-with' and 'chromosome' CSV files for each profile. These may be extracted using the DNAGedcom client. The DNAGedcom client is a small piece of software that can be used to download the data files for a modest subscription cost that can be cancelled at any time.
I do not offer downloads for Family Tree DNA files
About the Family Tree DNA charts
Family Tree DNA in-common-with data files do not have any sort of filtering applied. As a result there can be many distant cousin relationships included, which obscure the grouping of closer cousins. Simply filtering matches on the number of centimorgans shared does not tend to produce useful results.
Instead, I apply a two part threshold to the links between matches.
- All links with matches above a centimorgan threshold are included (the threshold used may vary from file to file).
- Below the threshold, only links where the shared DNA with each person overlap each other by a sufficient margin are included. This is not triangulation, but works as a reasonable proxy since true triangulation data is not available.
This hybrid approach provides good results, with clusters of matches identified and linked to closer matches.
All prices are in Australian dollars.